Thursday, June 12, 2008

Life at Memphis


This post was long due....for Memphis...hehe starting to get senti.....these years have flied past unbelievably fast... made a lot of friends... genuine, some were the proverbial wolves under the sheep's skin LOL!! cool cool..my intention is not to launch a tirade now....Memphis has taught me to listen to my heart...and go for it however hard things had become...


I didn't have a clue what I was getting into when I accepted UofM's invite to join the university in the form of an I-20. I decided to go for it. Finally landed in Memphis on the evening of August 4th, 2004 and I was EXCITED!! Soon, the hunt for a assistantship began and finally I landed a week after and I was over the moon because that was my first job that was actually paying me real money :) Few weeks after, the semester finally took off... School was normal, there were classes, that I hated ...some I loved, but there was no real big difference.. Papers were due every few weeks and tests that you'll never feel ready for....Its good to remind yourself that you'll get through it....because you have to!! But I had made some good friends and it was great seeing them in between classes and visiting Starbucks to get a coffee for those boring mid-afternoon classes. Somewhere the semester ended and the dawn of the grades made me realise that was a bad start to the school for me... It hit me hard....nevertheless, it had to go on ..... One part of me said that I had made a bad decision of coming here to study... Soon , the Spring started with renewed enthusiasm that made me forget my 'fall'..... It was really tricky ... pre-reqs and all...No..the ride was not smooth.....but it was one enriching,enthralling experience. By then some 'people' had started to counsel me...to change my major to a less intimidating one......These bunch of duds :) who were known for their free advise ....without even asking!! soon they were eating their own words....Soon, the bumpy ride proved to be not so bumpy...soon followed an Internship at FedEx that blossomed into a job.....and then came my graduation that till date has been one of the happiest days of my adult life.

Lessons learnt: Keep your dreams alive....All things are possible for those who believe....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice.

Unknown said...

your words are so powerful. I like the last pharse in lesson learnt part that you need to your dreams alive I love that part so much.

Swapna Reddy Siriseni said...

Nice and inspring one!! great thing geeta

Vivek Reddy said...

This made me nostalgic :-)

Siri said...

Oh my! this reminds me of my masters Geetha, here in Syracuse, NY..very nostalgic. as it is near Canada, the winter was horrendous and gloomy. I didn't make any 'real' friends there. I am glad that you went by what your heart said. You are right, about a lot of people giving free advice. hate such people!

Cheers,
Siri

Geetha Vahini said...

Thank you all for posting your comments on my blog. This is my visit here in months.. have been plain lazy. Hopefully, I will find something to write soon..

Cheers!