Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chilhood dreams....




What did you want to be when you grew up?


I think these questions or their answers stay with you all your life in some form. I've been thinking about mine recently. What were my childhood dreams?


My first memory of what I wanted to be a post woman. I think because I liked the way they used to deliver posts and stamp on the letters. For some strange reason, I loved doing that and even broke the new steel torchlight that my dad brought from the duty-free customs shop. I hit it repeatedly on the paper pretending to stamp on posts. I took that job rather seriously and broke the brand new torchlight inviting my dad’s ire…Then, for some reason I wanted to be a astronaut (I think many want to become one when they are teenagers...I don’t know.. I have heard people say that…) This was at a time when one of my icons Dr.Kalpana Chawla went to space and that really inspired me to work towards it…I even went to Delhi for this entrance and ended up getting a rank for which I would have been offered an architecture seat. I wanted to go to the moon or walk in space. I always dreamt about it and told my mom about my dreams in the day… It didn’t work out either and at some point I had to look hard at other options too…. I'm realizing now that I had a tendency to get more and more practical for some reason. It is still a mystery to me….

Here is a list of some of my childhood dreams:

1. Post woman
2. Go into space
3. Aerospace engineer
4. To be a chef
5. Invent something
8. To be in the animal rescue squad
9. Veterinarian
10. To be a presenter in the discovery channel

I had others like to be a singer… Some were more fleeting. But many are still with me with the hope that I will fulfill at least one of them.

So, people….grab a cup of coffee…and share with me your childhood dreams..That would be exciting.

To conclude this, I would like to quote Randy Pausch:
“Never lose the child-like wonder. “

Check out the Video of Randy Pausch's lecture of "Achieving one's childhood dreams here:"

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This article shows the innocent mind of a kid. Very nice article. Keep it up Geetha.

Geetha Vahini said...

Thanks Maithri :)

JS said...

Nice article!!! very well put up in a simple way..just jumped into your blog randomly

100mitra said...

Hi Geetha gaaru,
Nice post on childhood dreams and nice blog also.
All d best and I wish, everyone may achieve their childhood dreams.

Mee post chusaka, naa chinnanati dreams gurthu vachayi.

1) Airforce Pilot.
Pilot training ki 1st class attend ayyanu rest 39 hrs pending.
2) Sports Person (either tennis or cricket).(renditlo gully level lone aagipoyaanu)
3) Oka manchi Paata raayalani .
(tavikalu raasthunnanu, waiting 2 write nice kavita or poem.


Nice blog andi.Chinni co incidence enti antey Nenu Aug 3 2004 memphis lo land ayyanu.(Horrible n memorable experience naadi lendi)

Thanks
-- Soumitra :-)

Siri said...

I like your writing Geetha. very lively and upbeat. I hope you would start blogging again - real soon. We all are there to cheer you up!. Thanks for dropping by my photo blog. :)

Cheers,
Siri

Geetha Vahini said...

@JS: Thanks for dropping by.

@Soumitra: Thank you. Wow..nice that you had the enthusiasm to pursue so many things. Hope you retain this great quality and achieve success in what you do.

@Siri: Thank you for the note. Hopefully I will think of something to write real soon! :-)
Keep up your good work on the photo blog!!